The grieving parents of their 22-month-old toddler tell how they found her dead just hours after returning home from the hospital.
Little Haley Thompson was diagnosed with the virus on Sunday, Dec. 18, but her family was told to keep giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
But early the next day, her parents, Chris Thompson, 32, and Iboira Adam, 35, found her unresponsive in her bedroom.
For Health & Wellbeing-related news and videos, visit Health & Wellbeing. >>
Chris performed CPR before paramedics took over and the infant was taken to the Wigan Infirmary – where she died despite the doctors’ best efforts.
Now, an investigation has been launched after her parents complained that Hailey’s case was not being taken seriously enough.
“Everything happened so quickly. Something in her body took control of her.
“When I found her at 5:30 a.m. on Monday, she was lying in exactly the same position I had when I went to bed in the middle of the night, but she was stiff and her skin was discolored. was.
“It’s a terrifying sight that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
“We knew in our hearts that she had died, but I called[the ambulance]and screamed on the phone that our daughter was dying.
“However, she was unable to be resuscitated and was pronounced dead at the hospital.”
Hailey started on December 7 with a cough and a runny nose and was seen by a GP who prescribed antibiotics, which she stopped due to an allergic reaction.
A week later, she saw another doctor and her family told her she had a virus and needed Calpol (paracetamol for children) instead of antibiotics.
Exactly one day later she was fine, running around, eating and drinking well, and went to bed at her usual 6:30 pm.
Chris went to check on her at 11:00 pm and found her not breathing, so he immediately called an ambulance.
After 20 minutes had passed and she had not arrived and was told it would be a two hour wait, he took Haley to the emergency department where she waited over five hours before being examined.
The doctor tested Haley’s blood pressure and was unable to check her tonsils, so she told her family to go home.
Her parents were told to keep her hydrated and on Calpol and to bring her back if she didn’t improve after 3 days.
She then woke up at noon with a cough, runny nose and “completely out of character”.
Haley went to bed at 6:15 pm on Sunday, just one week before Christmas.
Less than six hours later, the couple made the most heartbreaking discovery.
Wigan Infirmary was experiencing one of its busiest days yet on Sunday 18th, after a ‘serious incident’ was declared by the department.
But Ivoria and Chris want to know why no blood sample was taken when they took Hailey to the hospital, “breathless like she’s 90.”
The couple also said attempts to check her tonsils were abandoned because the young man was struggling and in pain, closing her mouth tightly before beginning to vomit.
Chris says: How can a healthy baby die while sleeping?
“So why wasn’t she tested for strep, scarlet fever, or COVID?”
A post-mortem examination could not be performed for over a week, and the pair faced pain in waiting for answers.
Police gave the details to the coroner.
A spokeswoman for Wrightton, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: ‘Our deepest condolences to Hayley’s family during this tragic time.
“We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to better understand.”