Dear Local News,
I respond to Margaret England and Jean-Paul Leynig’s submissions on the Aboriginal Voices parliamentary referendum in the 6th January edition.
It is great that NOTA is allowing discussion on this important issue and your newspaper should be commended for this action.
But I urge all voters to consider this referendum based on facts, not emotions.
If the referendum is accepted, there is a legal and constitutional provision to divide Aboriginal Australians into two racial groups. 3% of the population are Aboriginal Australians and the remaining 97% are not Aboriginal Australians. I got the impression that we are all Australian.
we are one mob.
The debate is especially important because Linda Burney herself is calling on Australians to support a referendum to include Aboriginal voices in our Constitution. This voice is restricted to Australians of recognized Aboriginal race, identity and ancestry only.
Given that she openly declared that Aboriginal people were ‘special’, she states that by definition the rest of Australia is ‘different’ and ‘not special’.
Jacinta Nampijinpa Price says this voice enshrines in the Constitution the idea that Aboriginal people are eternal and eternal victims who need “special” measures.
Jacinta Price, who used to be a principled proponent of The Voice, has expressed deep skepticism about the proposal because so many details have been left out so far.
We should pay attention to her skepticism.
Warren Mandin warned about the wording of the referendum proposal.
He wonders what exactly “Voice” (Section 1 of the Referendum) means under the Constitution.
This is not explained.
He also asks what meaning of the word “important” (Section 2 of the referendum) will be used.
Matters means “all”.
This is also not explained.
We need to look at this referendum objectively. Otherwise, it can become a judicial and constitutional nightmare.
There is no room for subjectivity or the idea of ’kindness’ or ‘politeness’ in making this decision.
In any event, Article 51 (xxvi) of the Australian Constitution, commonly referred to as ‘Racial Power’, already empowers the Commonwealth of Australia to make specific laws for people of all races.
Let our elected members of Congress (Indigenous and others) make the necessary arguments for such legislation.
that’s what they do.
Be careful what you want.
nice to meet you,