NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County Opens Brooklyn Neuroscience Center
Center provides comprehensive treatment for neurological conditions and disorders affecting the nervous system at all ages
January 31, 2023
Brooklyn, New York
NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County today announced the opening of the Brooklyn Neuroscience Center. It provides comprehensive care with a multidisciplinary team and treats disorders of the brain, spine, and peripheral nervous system in patients of all ages. NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County is the primary educational affiliate of SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, training the next generation of physicians to provide high-quality neuroscience patient care in a collaborative environment.
“NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County is already part of one of the nation’s premier hospital systems, and today it’s even better with the opening of the new Brooklyn Neuroscience Center.” New York City Mayor Eric Adams“Whether you need help with a headache, carpal tunnel, or a major diagnosis such as Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis, Kings County Hospital has you covered.”
“NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County has dedicated staff and state-of-the-art equipment to treat conditions that affect the nervous system at all stages of life. Changing the landscape.With Gold Plus certification for our excellence in stroke, our staff has the expertise you need to treat your professional needs. Sheldon McLeod, CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County“Our hospital cares not only about current patients, but about future patients as well.”
The nine clinical services at the Brooklyn Neuroscience Center include:
- adult neurology – Inpatient and outpatient care for patients with a variety of neurological conditions, including headache, low back pain, dementia, carpal tunnel syndrome, neuropathy, and subspecialty practices in neuroimmunology, movement disorders, epilepsy, and stroke We offer both services.
- epilepsy center – We serve patients with complex epilepsy and problems such as uncontrolled seizures, pregnancy and epilepsy, bone health, and diagnostic uncertainty. NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County is the first system to offer a ketogenic diet for patients with refractory epilepsy.
- stroke center – Our team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, emergency physicians, nurses, physical therapists and interventional neuroradiologists provide high-quality care for complex stroke patients.
- neurocritical care – The Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit and Neurocritical Care Consultation Service specialize in the care of critically ill patients with central and peripheral nervous system disorders.
- neuroendovascular – Employs minimally invasive techniques to diagnose and treat a variety of conditions including acute stroke, congenital and traumatic vascular malformations, arteriovenous malformations, cerebral aneurysms and endovascular/interventional spinal disease.
- neuroradiology – Expertise in imaging the nervous system using multiple modalities including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), positron imaging tomography (PET) and computed tomography (CT). provide trained expertise.
- neurosurgery – Diagnose and treat complex neurosurgical conditions including brain tumors, degenerative spinal disease, hydrocephalus, hemorrhagic stroke, and trauma to the brain and spine.
- Pediatric Neurology – Treat children with a wide range of neurological disorders from newborns to young adults.
- rehabilitation medicine – Offer a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach, including swallowing assessment and gait training, focusing on the skills patients need to navigate their home environment, such as climbing stairs and getting in and out of a car.
“We are excited to open the NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County Brooklyn Neuroscience Center, a first for NYC Health + Hospitals and the Brooklyn District,” said Dr. NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County Neurology Chief Helen Valsamis, MD“We provide multidisciplinary, high-quality care for patients with complex neurological conditions. We have specialists in neurology, neurosurgery, endovascular neurology, and neurorehabilitation under one roof. Our team will work together to provide seamless, high-quality care to our community and serve as a referral center for the Brooklyn borough.”
The center consists of accredited, award-winning clinical services. The Traumatic and Brain Injury Service, part of the American College of Surgeons, is accredited as a Level 1 trauma center and sees patients with traumatic complications to the brain. NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County Stroke Center has been awarded the Gold for Excellence in Stroke Care by the American Stroke/Heart Association for eight years, longer than any other hospital in Brooklyn. Neurocritical care services are also integral to Joint Commission Accredited Stroke Centers and Level 1 Trauma Centers.
NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County also contributes to advancing neuroscience knowledge through its clinical and translational research programs. They are part of the STROKENET, SIREN, and Neuro NEXT research consortium at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University. In addition, we carry out numerous investigator-initiated projects in clinical and translational research in epilepsy and traumatic brain injury.
For more information about surgical care services and the Brooklyn Neuroscience Center in NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County, call 718-245-3910.
contact: Alexis Davis, NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County, 718-245-3910
About NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County
NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County is a 639-bed emergency medicine teaching hospital in downtown Brooklyn. Highly specialized programs include Level I Trauma Center, Pediatric Emergency Room, Level 3 Perinatal Center, Heart Health Center, Stroke Center, Sickle Cell Program, Behavioral Health Center and Diabetes Education Center of Excellence. there is. Many of our programs are nationally recognized, including heart, stroke and diabetes services. The hospital offers a wide range of primary and specialty care, including neuroscience, orthopedics, urology and cardiology practices. Each year, our outpatient practices see nearly 23,000 inpatient discharges, plus well over 500,000 visits and over 150,000 visits in behavioral health outpatient programs. NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County has played a key role in providing healthcare to vulnerable populations in Brooklyn since 1831 and is part of NYC Health + Hospitals, the nation’s largest public healthcare system. For more information, visit nychealthandhospitals.org/kingscounty and follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/KingsCountyHosp) or Twitter (@KingsCountyHosp) for updates.
About NYC Health + Hospitals
NYC Health + Hospitals is the nation’s largest municipal healthcare system, serving more than one million New Yorkers annually at more than 70 patient care locations across the city’s five boroughs. A robust network of outpatient, community-based primary and specialty care centers underpin care coordination with the system’s trauma centers, nursing homes, post-acute care centers, home care agencies, and MetroPlus health plans, all of which are 11 supported by essential hospitals in Our diverse workforce of more than 43,000 employees is uniquely focused on helping New Yorkers, without exception, live the healthiest lives possible. For more information, visit www.nychealthandhospitals.org and follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/NYCHealthandHospitals) or Twitter (@NYCHealthSystem) for updates.