The ARK at JFK (The ARK) has teamed up with Zoundz Music For Pets (Zoundz) to help improve the overall health of your pet while traveling.
According to a company release,1 The partnership will incorporate music therapy throughout ARK’s 24/7 state-of-the-art facilities to reduce stress and anxiety in dogs and cats when faced with new and unfamiliar environments. The initiative consists of installing scientifically-backed Zoundz music specially created for dogs and cats at ARK receptions, kennels, veterinary inspection areas, and transport vehicles.
ARK President and CEO Elizabeth A. Schuette said in the release:1 “We are dedicated to implementing industry best practices and leveraging innovative tools and solutions to continuously deliver superior experiences for our animal and human clients.”
A multidisciplinary team of music composers, producers and engineers, animal behavior researchers and experts, and veterinary scientists compose and curate Zoundz music. Additionally, they analyzed and interpreted its sedative effects as cited in various animal behavior studies.
Some of the research published in each journal physiology and behavior2 When veterinary behavior journal3 We demonstrate the potential of auditory stimulation as a highly effective method of environmental enrichment for kenneled dogs, and playing music in a shelter environment can help reduce the stress inherent in many of these dogs. Moreover, magazines Applied Animal Behavioral ScienceFour When Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2020Five published a study showing that cats have a greater preference for and interest in species-appropriate music compared to human music. It was also found that cat-specific music may reduce stress levels in cats and improve the quality of care in veterinary clinical settings.
Zoundz Founder and CEO Derrick L. Garrett said in the release: “We have created a vast library of carefully crafted songs using species-appropriate tempos, sound frequencies and instruments to provide maximum calming effect for dogs and cats in stressful situations. Did.”
“We are excited to expand our work with ARK to help more animals relax before and after their trips, as science advances our understanding of how music influences behavior,” said Garrett. increase. Additionally, the Zoundz Music For Pets app allows pet parents to calm, tune and connect with their pets, helping dogs and cats maintain a relaxed emotional state in a variety of everyday situations. ”
Additionally, ARK’s USDA-approved rest and inspection facility, the Horse and Livestock Export Center, is the nation’s first equine import and quarantine center, prioritizing safety and efficiency in process and comfort. I’m here. We provide the highest level of care for your horse.1
“We recognize that importing horses can be stressful for owners, agents and animals. Our experienced and dedicated handlers and grooming staff are unique to the care of horses while traveling abroad. “ARK will experience the effects of music in the kennel and Zoundz’s musical installation once Zoundz has created additional content for their horse friends,” Schütte concluded in his release. to the horse barn.”
- A science-based music therapy collaboration aims to reduce anxiety in pets while traveling. news release. JFK arc. January 10, 2023. Accessed 10 January 2023.
- Bowman A, Scottish Spca, Dowell FJ, Evans NP. “Four Seasons” at the Animal Conservation Center. Classical music reduces environmental stress in kenneled dogs. physiological behavior2015;143:70-82. Doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.02.035.
- Kogan LR, Schoenfeld-Tacher R, Simon AA. Behavioral Effects of Auditory Stimuli on Dogs Housed in Kennels. J. Vet Behab2012;7(5):268-275. Doi: 10.1016/j.jveb.2011.11.002.
- Snowdon CT, Teie D, Savage M. Cats prefer species-appropriate music. Appl Anim Behav Sci2015;166:106-111. Doi: 10.1016/j.applanim.2015.02.012.
- Hampton A, Ford A, Cox RE 3rd, Liu CC, Koh R. Effects of music on behavior and physiological stress responses in domestic cats in veterinary hospitals. J Feline Med Surg2020;22(2):122-128. Doi: 10.1177/1098612X19828131.