Here’s an overview of the December 2022 issue, “Prognosis after Cardiac Arrest: How EEG and Evoked Potentials Improve Tasks.” intensive care Benganem and others
Approximately 80% of resuscitated CA patients enter the intensive care unit (ICU) in a coma, and nearly half of those who survive do not regain consciousness until 72 hours later. Accurately predict the neurological outcome of these patients to provide accurate information to the patient’s loved ones, prevent overtreatment of patients with irreversible hypoxic-ischemic brain injury (HIBI), and improve neurological outcomes It is important to prevent premature treatment discontinuation in patients who recover well. Unfortunately, only 32% of him can be classified as ‘likely poor prognosis’ using the ERC/ESICM 2021 algorithm, while the remaining 68% remain with ‘indeterminate’ results. Most importantly, understand how to better assess both negative and positive outcomes. Electroencephalography (EEG) and evoked potentials (EP) are examples of neurophysiological tests that can be performed non-invasively at the bedside.
An electroencephalogram (EEG) records electrical activity in the brain. It has good temporal resolution, but poor spatial resolution. A recent study examining how neuroprognosis is currently performed found EEG to be the most commonly used tool. Extreme HIBI is associated with ‘highly malignant’ EEG patterns, such as suppression or burst suppression, which correlate with the continuity of EEG predominance frequencies and background. In contrast to EEG signals that are recorded continuously from the brain, EPs are evoked by external stimuli and represent the collective activity of large numbers of neurons that fire synchronously. A variety of EPs can be assessed in the intensive care unit, each with its own brain generator and prognostic value. These include somatosensory EP (SSEP), brainstem auditory EP (BAEP), medium-latency auditory EP (MLAEP), and long-latency EP (ERP) with discordant negative (MMN) and P300 responses .
In this article, researchers provide a brief summary of the various neurophysiological tools available, including signal generators, recording modalities, interpretation, and prognostic value of EEG and EP. The researchers conclude by evaluating the potential for further neurophysiological studies to clarify the prognosis of her CA patients suffering from coma or impaired consciousness (DoC).